Toll-free number service
telna provides toll-free number service to both business and residential customers.
- What is a toll-free number?
- For businesses
- For residential customers
A toll free number is a telephone number, usually starting with 800, 888, 877 or 866, that can be dialed from any private or public phone free of charge. Toll-free numbers can also be dialed from cellphones without incurring long distance charges, but airtime charges still apply with most plans.
Anyone can own a toll-free number, since all you need is an existing phone number (at home, at the office or on a cellphone) on which you want the toll-free number to ring, and there is no limit on the number of toll-free numbers you can own. Once setup, the toll-free number can be dialed from any phone in the United States or Canada and will ring on the preset phone number. The preset phone number can be any phone number in the world, so you can have a U.S. toll-free number ring on a cellphone in France. Since the call is free of charge for the caller, the cost of the call is charged to the called party at telna's low rate. Owning a toll-free number is actually very inexpensive, thus making them available for anyone. Also, you don't need to have a large volume of calls to own a toll-free number!
Toll-free numbers are a proven way of increasing sales by letting customers call-in orders for free. Businesses can also setup a toll-free number to have business associates call-in while on the road. Setting up a different toll-free number for each new promotion or advertising allows businesses to keep track of marketing impacts and focus on the most efficient marketing channels. International businesses can setup a U.S. toll-free number for that rings to their international sales offices overseas, so that U.S. customers or employees can call those offices without incurring expensive international phone charges.
Toll-free numbers are useful to allow family members to call home from any phone, even from public phones. Ideal for children to call home from school or while on a trip, without the need for carrying change. If a family member is often on the road, a toll-free number will allow him to call home from the hotel phone while avoiding the expensive long distance surcharges common on hotel phones. Setting up a toll-free number to ring to your answering machine allows you to check messages free of charge from any phone while on the road. You don't need to have a large volume of calls to own a toll-free number!
As you see, the uses for toll-free numbers are nearly unlimited!
The following features are included with telna's toll-free number service:
- Enjoy the same low rates than for outgoing calls on your incoming toll-free calls.
- There is no setup charge to set up a new toll-free number.
- We have a limited number of 1-800 numbers still available!
- The toll-free number can ring to any phone number in the world, all at telna's low international rates!
- Unique one second billing on all calls! Very useful to reduce the cost of "wrong number" callers.
- Free near realtime online tracking of incoming phone calls. This allows businesses to measure the reponse to advertising campains while they happen.
- Custom blocking of the area codes you don't want to receive calls from. Avoid international calls from Canada, or limit incoming calls to your state or region. (This feature is not available for toll free numbers for which the ring-to number is outside the US).
- If you already own a toll-free number, we can port it to telna's lower rates without any interruption of service. There is no charge for you to port your number to telna.
As mentioned above, there is no charge to setup a new toll-free number, port an existing toll-free number from another carrier, or setup custom area code blocking to suit your needs.
Other charges are as follows:
- Monthly service fee: 99¢/month per toll-free number in your account
- Federal payphone origination surcharge: 65¢ for each payphone originated call (this is a federal surcharge assessed by all long distance carriers on behalf of the FCC)
- Incoming calls from within your state: outbound rate for intrastate calls in your state
- Incoming calls from another state including Hawaii: 4.8¢/min
- Incoming calls from Alaska: 19.8¢/min
- Incoming calls from Canada: 9.8¢/min
- Incoming calls from Puerto Rico: 14.8¢/min
- Incoming calls from US Virgin Island: 14.8¢/min
- We have to pay a monthly fee to hold and maintain your toll-free number active.
- The monthly fee ensures that you will not ask us to setup dozens of toll-free numbers if you do not intend to use them.
- We are sure that our low rates for incoming calls will save you at least the amount of the monthly fee after just a few calls, compared to other providers.
All calls are billed using our unique one second billing feature, and customers can access a detail of their incoming calls online.
Any area code can be blocked for origination upon request. Thus, you can easily avoid expensive origination rates on calls from AK, PR, USVI or Canada.
Why is there a monthly service charge on each toll-free number?
What are the charges for a toll-free number that rings to an international number?Incoming calls to toll-free number that ring to an international phone are charged at telna's regular low international rates for the terminating country. The surcharges above still apply when the call is originated from one of the listed overseas locations.
Requesting toll-free number service
At this time, we are only offering toll-free number service to telna customers. There is no "stand alone" toll free service available.
- If you would like to setup a new toll-free number, please click here. You will be able to choose the toll free number you want and the number we should have it connect to when someone dials it. New toll-free numbers are usually set up and running within minutes.
- If you would like to port an existing toll-free number, please download the "letter of agency" form, complete it and fax it back to 1-800-953-2938. We will then take care of everything and there will be no interruption of service. The process will take up to 10 business days to complete.